Monday, February 21, 2011

Your doom is coming man-things!

As always, when a tournament is around the corner I tend to never be satisfied with my army list and tweaks and changes all the time. Initially i went for a quite straight-forward aproach and brought two warp-fire throwers an abomination a bsb, warlord and engineer and two small groups of giant rats. Though it would suerly be playable I prefer the more subtle approach, relying on bringing an element of unkown and deviating from the standard expected army.

With this in mind I made following up:

  • Warlord - blade of corruption, dragonhelm, potion of toughness, charmed shield
  • Chieftain - bsb, shield, banner of eternal flame
  • Engineer - lvl2, doomrocket
  • Assassin - tail w, rat hound, potion of strength
  • 30 Clanrats, shield, champion, mus, std, ratling gun
  • 35 Slaves, shield, mus
  • 35 Slaves, shield, mus
  • 10 Stormvermin, mus, ratling gun
  • 6 Gutter runners, slings, poison
  • 6 Gutter runners, slings, poison
  • Warplightning cannon
  • Doomwheel
I'll elaborate on some choices.

Assassin: Ireally would like to try him out, as he gives me many different tactical options. With many poisoned attacks, with potion of strength he can deal with many different foes. He can scout, enter via table edge or hide with anyone of my units. An inexperienced opponent might be distracted by the hidden assassin, not knowing what to expect. Thought I believe the assassin synergize with gutter runners to be able to pull off some flank charges and run riot amongst supporting units.

Gutter runners: Bring the poison! These guys can march 12" and shoot twice 18". As well as being able to charge flanks, supporting units, scout and deploy via the opponents back table edge these guys are never out of place. A minus though is the points cost and the low leadership.

Ratling guns: I like the warpfire, but not the points cost and the high possiblity of destroying itself and rats around it. The ratling gun however is a more stable option, with not to high of a risk of going boom, with a lower points cost. The ratling guns main target is supporting units instead of massed infantry. Also a sneaky trick is to join a ratling gun with bsb with flaming banner for removing that regeneration on that hydra! Risky, but sneaky...

Doomwheel: Though the doomwheel have lost some oommf in respect to the abomination which has gotten thunderstomp, I still believe it has its uses. Mainly for catching supporting units with its random move, and blasting monsters which otherwise can stomp the squeek out of my infantry. Coupled with the warplightning cannon and a healthy amount of poison I believe I have a good chance of taking out supporting monsters.

Main strategy here is to overwhelm the enemys supporting units and monsters and then move up with my infantry and get in som nice flank charges with my assassin, gutter runners and doomwheel. All my characters are rather weak, but should be able to survive two rounds of combat at least, and I better help my units out or my characters and main battleline will be overun in short order. Never expect the skaven battleline to break enemy units! However if that happens, I might be able to hide with my supporting units to save some valuable points. Sometimes you might actually pull off a draw or even a win, by fleeing and getting away with your units. Especially against low unit armies like warriors of chaos.

I'm very eager to try this list out. Will it bend or break?

End rant/

2 comments:

  1. I like it!

    The only suggestions I would make are toward that Assassin. I love running mine with a Weeping Blade and The Other Trickster's Shard to really ruin someone's day. I highly recommend finding the points to outfit yours accordingly, but that's up to you.

    Also, one of the particularly fun things with an Assassin is revealing at the start of the Charge phase and charging him out of a unit to attack any solo characters or beasties. His maximum charge range is 18"!

    Fair warning regarding the Doomwheel, if you hadn't already guessed, that thing is a massive threat to many people (I honestly believe its psychological impact alone to be worth 150 points!) and it will definitely attract the majority of the enemy's attention.

    Hug cover, restrain the lightning until the time is right, and get ready to watch your opponent's face fall when you roll a 17" movement and go crashing into his army's flank!

    Oh and above all, have fun!

    Od.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input.

    Though I believe that weeping blade + tricksters is a little hit or miss. I'm more concerned with tough armour than ward saves, so I fear that the assassin lacks in armor penetration. Lizardmen, chaos, empire, dark elves, many can get a 1+ rerollable save. So my assassin won't bother with trying to take out characters, rather go for finishing of monsters, supporting units or mainly boost a flank charge with gutter runners.

    I'll try and recap.

    Oh, and I'm super excited about the doomwheel! I too believe it to attract a lot of attention, but hopefully I can sabotage some warmachines befor rolling it out in the open, if neccessary.

    I'll sure have fun.

    /N

    ReplyDelete